Water aerobics held in the shallow and deep end of the Sewickley Valley YMCA's Large Pool focus on elevating your heart rate for cardiovascular benefit.
Water exercise classes held in the Sewickley Valley YMCA's warm water pool are designed to work on a range of motion and flexibility rather than cardiovascular fitness. The warm water pool offers an average water temperature of 88 degrees, steps and a chair lift to access the pool and handrails inside the pool.
2022 Water Exercise & Water Aerobics Session Dates
Winter Session 2, January 31 - February 25
- Member Registration: Registration is open
Winter Session 3, February 28 - March 25
- Member Registration: February 7
- No water ex. classes March 28 to April 1
Spring Session 1, April 4 - April 29
- Member Registration: March 14
Spring Session 2, May 2 - May 27
- Member Registration: April 11
- No Water Ex. Classes May 30 to June 3
In the event of inclement weather, including thunder or lightning, the pool will close, and the pool deck will be cleared. The pool area will remain closed for 20 minutes after each flash of lightning, and/or 20 minutes after each clap of thunder. All patrons and staff must exit the pool and whirlpool. Swim lessons will typically run as scheduled and children will learn skills on the pool deck.
Essential Items to Pack for Water Aerobics or Water Exercise
No matter what water aerobic or water exercise class you attend, below is a list of essential items to bring along with you to ensure you have the best possible experience at the pool.
- No matter your age, it’s important to have a swimsuit that fits properly.
The Sewickley Valley YMCA provides equipment necessary for class, although if you would like to bring your own equipment, you can purchase water aerobics or water exercise equipment online at http://www.swimoutlet.com/SewickleyY.
- The chlorine in the pool often leaves your skin dry. Remember to bring shower essentials with you including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer and a hairbrush.*
- Remember that swimming is a form of exercise. Bring a water bottle for after your class.
- Bring a towel to the pool deck. It will help keep you warm when finished with class. In addition, it prevents water puddles, which are a slip and fall hazard.
- Don’t forget to bring a combination or key lock with you to secure your items in the locker room. If you love it, lock it up! It’s best to keep things like your cell phone, purse and wallet in a safe and dry area.
- Footwear that is easy to slide on and off is encouraged when walking from the locker room area to the pool deck. A proper pair of flip-flops or water shoes will prevent slipping.